New I-9 Form Released
Filed under:Employer Services
This post has been contributed by our strategic partner Cascade Employers Association. Cascade is an exceptional, membership-based resource for Northwest employers committed to developing a strong, vital workforce. They offer a complete range of services — from hiring well, to training for excellence, to dismissing effectively.
On November 14, 2016 the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published an updated I-9 Form. Although the previous version expired on March 31, 2016, employers were allowed to continue using that form until an updated version was made available.
Here are a few highlights of the new form:
- The form is provided in an electronic format to help reduce error. The electronic version includes helpful dropdown boxes, pop-up instructions and other prompts designed to make completing the form easier and more accurate. Employers may still use a paper version of the form.
- In Section 1 it asks for “other last names used” instead of “other names” used.
- It streamlines the certifications for certain foreign nationals.
- The form allows for multiple preparers or translators.
- It provides a dedicated area for additional information rather than putting it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator is also provided.
- Updated instructions to help complete the new form.
Employers must start using the new form no later than January 22, 2017.
If you have any questions about the new I-9 form, please do not hesitate to contact Cascade.